• February 15Bus Evacuation Practice today Feb 20

• February 15USA holds 5 Olympic Gold Metals So Far

• February 1517 Killed in School Shooting in Parkland, Florida February 14, 2018

Should We Have Lockers?

Students Athlete Debate for Lockers.

Used with Permission: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:School_lockers,_National_University_of_Singapore.jpg

Melanie Gagnon, Staff

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

As a student athlete, I usually have to carry two heavy bags. Throughout the day my arms get tired and my P.E. locker is too small to put anything else inside.  With notebooks, folders, and binders for almost every class, my backpack makes me feel like I’m being punished for having hard academic classes.  Lockers might be the answer to many people’s frustrations over heavy backpacks.  Freshman Jaelyn Peterson says “Yes, I would love to have a locker because my back is killing me. It would be so nice to have somewhere to store half my stuff during the day for the classes where I do not need certain things.”

According to Abcnews.com more and more schools are eliminating lockers because it is a easy spot to hide drugs or weapons. Even though that is true, drugs or weapons could be hidden in a student’s backpack or a PE locker.

Some argue that we do not need lockers since Gilbert Public Schools have Chromebooks. But the school owned laptops are heavy and are not needed in every class. The American Academy of Pediatrics says that backpacks should not be more than 20% of a student’s weight.  However, ABC found in their study of heavy backpacks that students sometimes carry backpacks 30% or more of their weight which can contribute to neck pain, back pain, and headaches.

Lockers should be considered at Highland as backpacks break backs.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Should We Have Lockers?”

1. Elizabeth on October 30th, 2017 1:57 pm

If there’s a safe way to have lockers, I definitely think they need to be brought back.
    I have seen a huge increase in back and neck pain issues directly from the insane weight of backpacks with only the required items. Please help!

[Reply]

Parker St. Ange Reply:

then don’t carry as much

[Reply]

2. Tate Singleton on October 31st, 2017 1:41 pm

I do not believe we need lockers.

[Reply]

3. Parker St. Ange on November 1st, 2017 10:06 am

No we shouldn’t

[Reply]

4. Sarahkim on November 1st, 2017 10:10 am

Lockers are a great idea!! My back aches daily due to chrome books, water bottles, and text books. Please, get use some lockers!!

[Reply]

5. chance on November 1st, 2017 10:18 am

yes because no one wants to carry there stuff around

[Reply]

6. Carly on November 19th, 2017 5:09 pm

I believe we do need lockers. Although it would be easier to hide weapons and drugs, it is not likely. I too am a student athlete and must carry around a heavy bag with all of my sports materials and it is a hassle to carry it around everywhere with me. And my backpack is quite heavy too. I have a lot of paper material because almost none of my classes like or even use chromebooks. It would be a lot easier for everyone to have lockers.

[Reply]

7. Brendan Thornburg on November 27th, 2017 7:27 pm

Lockers would be useful for easing the stress of the day and it would be easier to hide drugs and stuff, but there could be locker checks for suspicious students

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Should We Have Lockers?

Editorials

Meet Ms. Fraser

• Should We Have Lockers?

The Forum

Introducting: Us

• Should We Have Lockers?

The Gallery

Camera Clicks

• Should We Have Lockers?

The Bleacher Beat

High Hopes

• Should We Have Lockers?

Showcase

Red, White, Blue, and Gold

• Should We Have Lockers?

News From the Nest

Would You Like Fries With That?

• Should We Have Lockers?

Editorials

Meet Ms. Fraser

• News From the Nest

MORP

• Opinion

Freshman to a Sophomore

• Should We Have Lockers?

Sports