• February 15Bus Evacuation Practice today Feb 20

• February 15USA holds 5 Olympic Gold Metals So Far

• February 1517 Killed in School Shooting in Parkland, Florida February 14, 2018

First Undefeated Girls Volleyball Team in Highland History

Freshmen Volleyball girls set an incredible record!

Joanna Hester

Joanna Hester

Brooke Hester, Staff

This season, the Hawks freshman girls volleyball team had an incredible season! The team ended their season with a 17-0 record, becoming the first undefeated girls volleyball team in Highland’s history. While playing this month, the team faced their hardest match against Mountain Pointe, where they dropped their first, and only, set the entire season. They eventually battled back in the 3rd set and won 19-17.

Kennedy Erickson, the assistant coach said, “I think the biggest thing that contributed to a 17-0 season was our effort – effort to talk to one another on the court, effort to get the job done! The players did a great job [at] pushing through ruts to get back in the lead, and that is what helped us win the games”.

At their first match, Kennedy remembered a quote that helped her while she played for Highland in previous years, “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”. Since their first match, they have used that phrase as a support to help them win their games.

When they held their first practice, the team voted on the captains and eventually, Paige Wilson, an outside hitter, and Elle Pomeroy, the setter, were chosen. Throughout the season, they have both shown great leadership and kindness to all the girls on the team, whether someone was on the bench or just coming onto the court.

Paige says, “ I think we have all bettered by having each other to lean on and learning to be there for eachother no matter of we are one the court or in school. We are a family and we grow from each other. We learn how to be positive, encouraging, and selfless girls as we grow together throughout the year”.

Highland Volleyball’s ‘moto’ is A.C.E.S (Attitude, commitment, effort, and selflessness). This acronym is what the program plays by to show other schools that they are committed to not just the game but also how other people are treated as well.

The head coach Tate Neilson reflects on the season saying, “Having talented players helps tremendously, but the biggest reason we went 17-0 is because the team’s selflessness towards each other and being ready to play each game. The games against Gilbert are always intense, but the game against Mountain Pointe was the most intense! Our team had to learn how to take one point at a time and give 100% effort at that point…”.

Along with becoming the first undefeated volleyball team at Highland, they also set other records as well. At their match against Xavier, the freshman team was the first ever volleyball team to beat any Xavier team. After the season ended, they found out that they were the only undefeated freshman team in the state of Arizona. So, on top of the school records, they now have a state record as well! Great job freshman team!