• April 25Teacher Walk Out Starts Thursday

• April 4AZ Merit testing this Tues, Wed, and Thursday

• March 28A "RED FOR ED" protest was held in front of HHS this morning by staff and teachers.

Gun Control Debate

Students discuss their reactions to the recent shootings in Florida and how gun control relates.

HHS Students

Some of HHS student responses to our question: Respond to the recent shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. What are your thoughts?  Please feel free to respond to the topic in the comments below.

“I think this topic is very controversial but the students need to be remembered and can not die for nothing. Action needs to be taken but nothing will happen because of the money in the government for fire arms. Students need to learn the difference between gun violence and gun control. Many people can agree on one thing through the recent actions and that is that all public shootings are terrible. Now we need to find something else we can all agree on to help the situation.”

-Anthony Flores, Sophomore

“Every school shooting is sad and awful, and I am so sorry for those who have personally lost someone at a school shooting. However, more restrictive gun laws are not the answer. The only people who don’t have a gun when it’s illegal to have a gun are those who care about the law. People who want to kill people are not going to stop using guns just because the laws are more enforcing. In fact, shootings will increase if they know that people are unarmed. The bad guys are going to break the law, no matter what, they will find a way. So why can’t we focus on arming the good guys against such attacks, rather than leaving those of us who follow the law defenseless. Gun violence has increased in places with more strict gun laws, because they have more strict gun laws. If one side will never care about the law, and always find a gun. Then this side should care about the law enough to change it for our actual protection, not just the protection we think we’ll gain.”

-Anonymous

“It was bad and I think it shouldn’t have happen, but the people who say that guns should be banned are wrong. This is just my opinion. if we take guns away, the bad people who want to get guns illegally will get guns. People who conceal carry firearms who can stop these thinks are getting fewer and fewer.”

-Anonymous

“I think it’s too easy to get in and out of school and to get a gun.”

-Anonymous

“I think that this is something that America needs to address. The people and victims all want something to change, but people in power aren’t doing anything to change this. I do think that policies on guns need to be stricter, and people need to take mental health problems more seriously. This type of tragedy, which has almost become a norm, cannot keep happening. People all across the country are beginning to speak out and make a difference, because we are sick of this happening over and over, and nothing is changing.”

-Anonymous

“No student should ever have to go through what those student went through. no one should be scared to go to school or to go out on a fire drill. Not everyone should be able to have a gun. people should have to have background checks.”

-Anonymous

“Oh gosh. Well, first of all that was horrible. My prayers and thoughts go to the families and the staff involved. But I must comment, why didn’t they do anything to stop Nikolas Cruz in the first place? Apparently the FBI received info about a comment that Nikolas might have made on YouTube. The comment stated, “I’m going to be a professional shooter.” And no other information was included with the comment. None to indicate time, place, or true identity. Yet, the username used to make the comment was “nikolas cruz”. And the Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said that he received about 20 calls over the past few years regarding Nikolas and his younger brother. The gun used in the shooting was a AR-15 rifle, which may I add is a MILITARY weapon. He purchased the bullets and the semi-automatic gun legally. But why in the world would you let a 19 year old boy purchase a gun like that? And according to fellow students, described Nikolas as an “outcast” and a “loner”. Some said that he talked about guns, knives, and hunting, and “everyone predicted” that he would turn to be a school shooter. My question is how many more people have to be killed to have this problem solved? How many people is it gonna be next time? And where will it be? How many more have to die? How many more children and adults must die?”

-Anonymous

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Gun Control Debate”

1. Anonymous on February 22nd, 2018 4:46 pm

I hate to see that a school shooting has happened via social media, or news or wherever. Innocent people are killed for no reason and it is a terrible thing to happen to anyone or even know about the event happening in the first place. I feel I have been shut down by many people and they do not want to hear what I have to say, I’m glad the school felt the need to take action on this topic. I personally believe school shootings are a problem but the way people are going about it is ludicrous to me. I wouldn’t say I’m pro-gun or gun-control I feel like I’m in the middle somewhere. On one hand, I believe that we do have a right to defend ourselves the ability to obtain a defensive tool or weapon is very important and should not be set up too many barriers in obtaining safety or self-preservation. While on the other hand, which all pretty much agree with is that school shootings need to end. If gun-control policies are put in place, how difficult will obtaining a weapon be? for those using it for self-defense and I don’t think putting more tests or training or whatever to get a gun is going to help in the long run especially if it infringes upon our human rights. Guns aren’t bad things and actually help us in warfare and help defend our streets, cities, and our freedom in this country. It’s cliche but Guns don’t kill people, people kill people. I believe taking guns away isn’t going to help, even if guns were outlawed entirely, the problem would not be solved and persist. The reason self-defense is in the constitution is to protect, not kill. People are cruel and terrible and will always find a way to do what they want whether it’s killing themselves or shooting up the school. Bad things happen, people are terrible and cause the worst things to happen and it is seen throughout history and even in the present. I feel people have a view of reality that is not true and decide to blame guns and not the people that hold them. I believe some are trying to deny the fact that someone wanted to hurt and commit devastating atrocities by taking away guns instead of going after the people that are the root of the problem. This could never really be solved unless every person was given a test and it decided the likeliness they would commit a terrible atrocity and prevent those that are likely from shooting up the school, I am not saying that guns should not be allowed or given to those individuals but I am saying the things like this should be prevented by specifically targeting those people with searches when they arrive at school or separate them from large groups of people in school either by themselves or with a few others. Safety doesn’t care about the feelings of someone that may be considered a security risk. That’s what I believe. Thank you for reading this, this event should have never happened or been thought of. The best we can do is have sorrow for the people involved with this event.

[Reply]

2. Rebecca Holmes on February 22nd, 2018 5:06 pm

First off, guns are NOT the problem in the recent horrific school shootings. It is important to have a broad perspective of the issue before making any decisions to limit guns to citizens. I think it is interesting and highly insightful that the Founding Fathers chose the second amendment to secure gun rights. The numerical position of the amendment shows that a means to arm the people was one of their major concerns. If we study history we can see why. This country would very likely not exist if it were not for the average citizens with guns who stood up to the British and formed a militia even when they tried to take away their guns. For this reason, when amending the Constitution gun laws were thought “necessary to the security of a free State.” Citizens are given the right to arm themselves so that they can defend themselves against any dangerous faction of government or group of people that infringe on their freedom or rights. The Founding Fathers gave the responsibility to the PEOPLE to protect their nation. George Mason said, “To disarm the people…[is] the most effectual way to enslave them.” With this historical perspective, we can see that taking guns away may be thought to solve one problem, but will only expose an even greater threat to this country. What would be the long term effect? Furthermore, there is a correlation between more gun laws and shootings in schools. Criminals are not going to stop shooting just because a school or place is a “gun free zone.” It is important to be prepared for an attack by arming those who want to protect students. People should be blamed for a shooting, not a gun. Just like in fatal car accidents, we blame the driver and not the car for the deaths. They way to prevent shootings and protect students is by being prepared for the worst and allowing teachers to carry guns.

[Reply]

Anonymous Reply:

Rebecca Holmes, I completely agree with you on everything. The only problem with teachers having guns that I see is that the student might be able to get to the firearm. As long as teachers will be trained in the firearms use and comfortable to defend the students and at the same time keep the firearm away from the students, whether it’s in a safe or hidden it is the best option possible. But the teachers may become a liability as they will be in charge of the weapon and it must be made sure that they do not turn on the students.

[Reply]

Parker Nuttall Reply:

Rebecca I respect your opinion, however the 2nd amendment is a questionable one, no matter the school shootings. The purpose of the right to bear arms is if the government was to become tyrannical, in which case the people could fight back. However can we simply acknowledge that the government is YEARS ahead of us as far as technological warfare is considered. I don’t believe that guns play a fundamental part of our society. Secondly, if we were to arm teachers with guns, all it takes is a student with a knife to hold the teacher hostage and get the gun themselves. Now if we were to give the teachers stun guns or tasers I’d feel more comfortable, since they can’t kill.

[Reply]

3. -Anonymous on February 23rd, 2018 9:57 am

If we did backpack checks two or three times a weeks then maybe kids wouldn’t bring guns or other stuff to school and cause problems. And maybe we need to reach out to people

[Reply]

4. -Anonymous on February 23rd, 2018 10:02 am

If week did backpack and locker checks then maybe kids won’t bring guns and other stuff to school and cause a problem. And we can reach out to people who need our help. ” Treat others how you would like to be treated “

[Reply]

5. Brooke McClure on February 25th, 2018 9:53 pm

They are not saying to take away guns. They are trying to make the background checks more extensive so that you can’t just give a gun to someone who is a threat to society. We are trying to stop the heartless murdering of innocent children.

[Reply]

6. chance Lopez on May 17th, 2018 2:11 pm

i think people should see that there little kid think this is cool so they decide to show there friends there family guns witch is not OK to bring to school even for bring what make you you day at your school it is just wrong vary

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Gun Control Debate