Red For ED

Teachers Protest for the Betterment of our Schools

Alexia SanMarco, Staff

On March 29 from 6:30 to 7:00 a.m., many of our beloved teachers stood for the funding of schools and more pay for the many men and women who work long, hard hours, day in and night out with very little pay.

“I want to raise awareness within our community of the lack of support we receive from the State of Arizona. We want to increase teacher salaries but are also concerned about per pupil spending, class sizes, unfair financial support of charter schools, and how education in AZ compares to other states. Many of our teachers work two to three jobs even with the amount of stress they have already because they can’t make ends meet with just one teacher income.” said Gloria Roberts, Early Childhood Education & Clothing Construction teacher of over 30 years. 

“Education is not funded properly in Arizona. We are at the bottom of the barrel as far as that goes. This is not only not fair to our students, who have to use old textbooks and be in large classes, but it’s not fair to our educators, who have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet. It’s long past time for a change. I stood outside the school this morning to help make parents and students aware of what we are hoping to change. Hopefully, community members will stand with us.” commented Donna Carrier, HHS Spanish teacher of over 25 years. 

Photo by Talon Staff

Staff and Teachers stand outside the front of HHS on Wednesday, March 28, 2018.

“There are months I scrape by and I know I am not alone.  I am tired of hearing [about] teachers and staff who have to work second jobs in order to make ends meet,” said Laura Hardy, English and Digital Communications teacher at Highland.

The protest stood for the sizing of rooms and the ability to get one on one time in a class of 30 to 35 students. “The decreased funding has led to larger class sizes, increased teacher duties, lack of resources for materials, not to mention the reduction in support staff and general maintenance that help keep the school buildings functioning.” said Kacie Van Cleave, English teacher.  

It is more than just needing more to get by as a teacher; the protest is also about schools being funded better.  Dinah Guy, Registration Coordinator is in her 18th year in education. “I want our schools funded properly so I don’t have to keep putting 35 or more kids in classes. It kills me when I have to do that to my teachers. I want all educators to be paid appropriately so they don’t have to work 2 or 3 jobs. I am a proud parent of a 4th grade teacher, and I want her to be able to stay in this profession that she loves.” said Guy.  And more and more we hear of things like teacher shortages, lack of resources, and over-crowded classrooms.  Now, staff and teachers are taking a stand.

They stood to be the voice of many scared teachers and staff and to show their dedication and love for their students.

They stood for the quality of our schools and how entertainment is valued over education.

They stood for the value of their students’ education and futures, for the people who have the ability to change the world for the better.

They stand each and everyday for the advancement of everyone’s future.