• April 25Teacher Walk Out Starts Thursday

• April 4AZ Merit testing this Tues, Wed, and Thursday

• March 28A "RED FOR ED" protest was held in front of HHS this morning by staff and teachers.

How to Prepare for Finals

Must have tips to prepare you for the dreaded time of finals.

Megan Dietz, Staff

Finals are just around the corner, and for most students, that means stress.

Finals prove to be a way for teachers to assess students on all of the material learned throughout the semester. This could be very stressful to some students due to the large percentage finals hold on their grades.

Sophmore Karsyn Crawford says “I spend more time reviewing work and I make sure I know how to do stuff.” When asked about how long in advance she prepares, she responded with “about a month before”. A month in advance could be a stretch for some, but 2-3 weeks is probably most sufficient to ensure success on the exams.

Students’ studying techniques vary and different tools prove to be useful when preparing. When trying to study, flashcards, study guides, and worksheets from previous lessons are very helpful.

Karsyn stated “I don’t like the study guides teachers give us because I feel like it’s just more work we have to do.”

This may be true for some students, as it may add stress and extra work to each student. A solution to this might be having teachers make study guides optional. This would let the students who want the extra practice to obtain it and those who don’t aren’t required to complete it.

When studying, it’s best to have a quiet environment to work in. Peaceful background music would be a good tool to use, as it helps to relax and focus the brain.

Although our beds may seem like the most comfortable place to complete work, studies have shown that you are more likely to remain focused in a chair than if you were laying in your bed. I have caught myself multiple times dozing off to sleep when completing work on my bed, being too comfortable to focus on the tasks I need to get accomplished.

Snacks are also essential. Brain food is needed during long hours of intense studying. Protein or fruit with water is usually the best, as it isn’t high in caffeine and won’t make you crash later.

Finally, organization is key. If your work space is too cluttered, your brain is more likely to be overwhelmed. Take it one subject at a time. Set aside papers after using them and remember to keep all notes organized and neat. Highlighters and flashcards also help to keep organized.

Finals can be a stressful time for everyone, but if given the proper tools for success, it can make this time a lot less hectic and crazy.