• October 5Boys Bathrooms Shutdown Due to Vandalism by Students and Vaping After Fall Break

• September 26Fall Break Starts After a Half Day on October 5th and School is Back in Session on October 16th

• September 26You Can Now Download the Highland Sun App on Your Phone

Teen Driving

Sydney Preston, Staff

The minute most teenagers turn 15 and a half, they go get their driver’s permit. Then when they turn 16, they sprint to go get their driver’s license. Many driver’s that are more experienced tend to think that teen drivers are not good at driving. They stereotype teens as always texting while driving and always being reckless. Many teens like to argue the stereotype, but the statistics are not in their favor: 6,000 teens die every year in car wrecks, and over 500,000 people are injured by just riding in a car with a teenager.

In a survey conducted by AT&T, 49% of adults admitted to texting while driving and only 41% of teens admit to texting while driving. Coach Montgomery, the driver’s ed teacher at Highland High School was very helpful in offering many of his thoughts about student driving.  “I ask each class every semester how many of their parents text and drive and over half the hands go up.” Teens might be better about texting while driving, but they are still more reckless.

A 16 year old with multiple passengers in the car showed to be twice as likely to get into a car crash than an adult under the influence of alcohol. In addition to having multiple passengers, 90% of teens admit to driving more than 10 miles over the speed limit. Teenagers are also the age group with lowest rates of using seat belts. “I think we’re not doing our job as parents and as school districts by not having this class in every high school in the USA, mandatory to graduate. Many have cut this program including GPS. We now only offer it at 3 high schools that offer Drivers Ed as a class. We keep adding classes that are not real life and are just more seat time of kids being bored and learning stuff they will never use in life.”

Drivers Education is a class that Highland High is lucky to have. It teaches students how to prepare to drive on the roads and highways, prepares for the driver’s license test, and highlights the dangers of driving. “We also offer a behind the wheel program, which dirt cheap as the MVD test which covers City, Highway and Freeway driving. We do book assignments on every aspect of driving, 2 days a week on simulation and we bring in guest speakers and show tons of videos on the dangers out there and what to look for.”

Teenagers like to argue with adults about driving, but they really don’t have the right. The evidence shows that people under the age of 25 are worse at driving than their parents. If teens want to argue, they need to know the facts first. “I sound a little cynical but after 30 years teaching this, kids are still getting killed and injured in car wrecks and things are not getting better. To me it’s a no-brainer. Kids need more training and stricter laws to get a license.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Teen Driving”

1. chance Lopez on May 17th, 2018 2:04 PM

people shouldent have there phones out any way while driving everybody know that

2. piterlake on July 17th, 2018 12:12 PM

I like what this article mentions about teen driving is very useful. A proximate cost?

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Teen Driving

Opinion

SOS Video, Do We Need It?

• Teen Driving

Opinion

Student’s thoughts on more SRO’s

• Teen Driving

Opinion

How to Prepare for Finals

• Teen Driving

Editorials

Meet Ms. Fraser

• Opinion

Freshman to a Sophomore

• Teen Driving

Opinion

The World According to Riley

• Teen Driving

Reviews

Thor Ragnarok: Roses Or Thorns?

• Teen Driving

Editorials

Should We Have Lockers?

• Teen Driving

Sports

Fresh Faces in Football

• Teen Driving

Sports

Just Keep Swimming

The Student News Site of Highland High School
Teen Driving