Encounter of Curly Hair

The everyday struggles of having curly hair.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Encounter of Curly Hair

Public Domain

Public Domain

Public Domain

Seantiana Tompkins-King, Staff

20 minutes a day. Twice a day. 280 minutes a week. 1,120 minutes a month. 13,440 minutes a year, is on average what it takes to brush curly hair. Can you imagine brushing your hair for ten days straight? The luscious, bouncy, curly hair may look glorious, but it takes A LOT to get it to its beautiful charm. It makes our showers three times longer, it gives girls very bad hair days, and it seems it takes years to straighten!

Showers

Showers: it’s where curly hair is easiest to tame, it seems it’s the only place you can actually brush it. Out of six girls, five say that conditioner supply is a problem. “Conditioner runs out way before my shampoo.” said Aliyah Tavarez, 10.

Even when it’s wet it takes girls an average of 15 minutes to brush curly hair. If they were to brush their hair without water, it would just make them look like a lion with a bad hair day. “I can’t brush it without wetting it, so it just gets like a giant frizz ball if I don’t like soak it,” said Sydney Crawford, 9.

Not to mention when they try to untangle their hair, brushes break and combs snap, “In the shower my comb always [gets] stuck,” said Sandi Thompson, 10.

Bad hair days

Girls with curly hair typically have a bad hair day once a week, that’s at least four times a month. When they’re late hair becomes a problem “ I usually just throw my hair up in two buns” said J. Rice, Algebra Teacher.

Not to mention its is extremely difficult to style curly hair if they tried it would take an EXTRA 20 minutes, and that doesn’t mean it will turn out good. Curly hair sufferers use many products to tame their hair; from gooey curling cream to fluffy moose. Straightening their hair takes hours, literally it can range from 2 hours to 4 hours, it’s a burden to straighten. What makes it worse is when people come up and randomly touch their hair, some girls don’t mind it others get extremely annoyed. Don’t touch their hair without asking.

Conclusion 

Curly hair can be a drag to deal with, but most wouldn’t trade their hair type for any type of hair. “Curly hair is great, I wouldn’t trade it for straight” said Teja Trepte, 9. Their hair is unique and nothing can compare to it. So keep soaking, conditioning, combing, and managing.  The luscious locks are worth it.