Keep Highland Safe

School begins new anonymous Hotline.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Keep Highland Safe

Seanti, Tompkins King

Highland High School is beginning a program for keeping Highland safe. See unsafe behavior such as vaping, vandalism, theft, bullying, etc? Feel free to text Hawk Hotline at480-382-6641 to report it. Be a part of the solution, keep Highland safe.

1 Comment

One Response to “Keep Highland Safe”

1. John Jiler on December 9th, 2018 8:22 AM

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear Editor;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are thinking harder and harder about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’ve reached out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses; others simply turn a blind eye to the potential for gun violence in their state. Our mission has been to make these places known to high school seniors, who we’re encouraging NOT to apply to college in…
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, or WYOMING.
    Sadly, your state is on this list. You’re no doubt very proud of the place you live, and you should be. But the gun violence epidemic in this country has taken too many lives, and things must change. You can be part of that change, by encouraging your elected officials and your families and your friends to think about some serious questions. Should teenagers be able to order AR-15s through the mail? Should people with a history of mental illness be allowed easy access to guns? If you feel the answer to these questions is “no,” we all have a lot of work to do!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. Good luck with your own decision about college, and have a safe and prosperous senior year!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Keep Highland Safe

News

What’s going on in Greece today?

• Keep Highland Safe

News

Homelessness: The Sad Truth

• Keep Highland Safe

News

Highland High Lockdown

• Keep Highland Safe

News

Remembering an Unforgettable Teacher

• Keep Highland Safe

News

That Magic Moment

• Keep Highland Safe

News

The Day That Everyone Remembers

• Keep Highland Safe

News

Senior Parking

• Keep Highland Safe

News

Red 4 Ed Movement Marches for Change

• Keep Highland Safe

News

Highland High School Walk Out

• Keep Highland Safe

Entertainment

What We Learned As Freshman

The Student News Site of Highland High School
Keep Highland Safe