Importance of Vaccinations

Why you shouldn't go unvaccinated.

A local pharmacy where you can get you or your child's vaccinations.

Brooke Gardner

Brooke Gardner, Staff

In 1955 Jonas Salk came up with the first polio vaccination. This vaccination helped to end the dreaded polio disease as it could paralyze or even kill people. There have been no cases of polio since 1979 from the vaccination.

As time goes on, more and more parents are not vaccinating their children with more than 5% of kindergarten children being exempt. The main reason this is happening is because of the widespread thought that vaccinations can lead to autism in children.

However, not vaccinating children can pose a threat to the unvaccinated children and the as well as vaccinated children. Even newborn babies that aren’t old enough to get vaccinations can get a life threatening disease at a hospital after they are born. People with weaker immune systems can also be affected negatively if there is a person who is unvaccinated. This can cause a widespread outbreak of deadly diseases.  

For example, in Washington, there has been a measles outbreak in a country known for not vaccinating children. Measles is a highly infectious disease that affects small children. The symptoms can be fever, runny nose, sore throat, and also a rash. This disease can be extremely deadly to children if it goes unnoticed. This country has one of the highest rates of unvaccinated children with more than 22% of children in public schools that are not vaccinated. As of February 1, 2019 there has been forty-one confirmed cases of measles and and fifteen suspected. The outbreak is so bad that Washington has declared a local health emergency on January 18, 2019.

Vaccinations have made contagious diseases almost disappear. However, with the increasing amount of unvaccinated children, diseases that were almost gone are starting to appear. If you or your child are unvaccinated, you should be aware of symptoms of the flu or dangerous diseases. If you need to get vaccinated, it is really easy. You can just go to a local pharmacy or a doctor’s office.