Why Journalism?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why Journalism?

Photo by Destiny Marquis

Photo by Destiny Marquis

Photo by Destiny Marquis

“I became a journalist to come as close as possible to the heart of the world.” said Henry R. Luce.

Do you have a story? Journalism is more than writing, and interviewing. Journalism students get to interact with people that they would never encounter otherwise, whether it be producing the school newspaper, taking pictures for publication, or learning to write better and develop marketable skills. 

Research shows that students who take journalism or are on publication staff in high school generally score higher on the SAT/ACT. College admissions people like to see students with a journalism/publication background. These same students naturally have more knowledge and are more efficient in college. Journalism students learn how to conquer fears and learn how to work outside their “comfort zone”. 

“The purpose of journalism is thus to provide citizens with the information they need to make the best possible decisions about their lives, their communities, their societies, and their governments.”Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel from their article What Is the Purpose of Journalism? in the Associated Press.

Becoming a journalist creates a love for the world that a lot of people don’t get to see. It opens up your eyes in a whole new perspective. Being able to tell people’s stories and shape their world bring great pleasure and happiness. If I were you, I would join journalism, not just for you but for others’ sake. We meet every Tuesday in room 1158, you can email our adviser for more information [email protected]