The Sensation of Autism

Revised May 2021

Piper Flood, Staff

There are millions of kids here like me that are part of the autism spectrum here in Highland and in other schools and countries who merely believe that Autism should be more supported in this universe. It’s one of the many things that gets stuck in my head, though when I observe the kids at Highland High School and at Highland Junior, despite my uneducated way of reading feelings, I come across the one simple thought that “most” of the students attending the schools have not seemed to comprehend which is Autism. Some people may see someone on the spectrum and think that they don´t look or act autistic, that’s because Autism affects the brain of an individual and spawns different challenges towards that person of how they interact, feel, and etc.

For me, I struggle with many of those predicaments such as making friends, sharing my feelings, understanding people’s emotions, and more. Many normal kids may think that dealing with Autism is simple, but it’s not, it only takes a lot of practice for those who have it to be able to interact when stepping into The Real World. The awareness of Autism has grown worldwide in recent years and is internationally recognized every year on April 2nd, in which, all the people wear blue to spread care and support of those who are on the spectrum. And for the most part, Autism is never a bad thing, because, despite all of the challenges Autistic people can face, they can turn out to be very unique in most things that come from their interests. They can picture tons of things through their intelligent brains and eventually have the opportunity to become something big like Temple Grandin, an American professor who was one of the first Autistic individuals to ever become famous for her work. If you ever find someone who is diagnosed with Autism, don’t be afraid to become a special friend of them, because they may have the same interests as you!