The Sensation of Autism

Used with permission from Wikimedia Commons

Piper Flood, Staff

There are a lot of kids here like me that are part of the autism spectrum and from what I learned while trekking through my life experience with the disorder,  Autism Awareness needs to be better understood and more supported in this school. It’s one of the million things that gets stuck in my head, though when I observe the kids at Highland High School and at Highland Junior, despite my uneducated way of reading feelings, I come across the one simple thing that “most” of the students attending the school have not seemed to comprehend; “Autism, what even is that?”

Autism affects the brain of an individual who’s born with it, which spawns difficult challenges towards that person of how they interact, feel, and etc. For me, I struggle with many of those predicaments such as making friends, sharing my feelings, understanding people’s emotions, and more. Many “normal” kids may think that dealing with Autism is simple, but it’s not. It only takes a lot of practice for those who have it to be able to interact when stepping into the real world. I’ve recently searched the accurate understanding of this disorder from autismspeaks.org as it states in the very first paragraph, “Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication. According to the Centers for Disease Control, autism affects an estimated 1 in 59 children in the United States today.”

The awareness of Autism has grown worldwide in recent years and is internationally recognized every year on April 2nd, in which, all the people wear blue to spread care and support of those who are in the spectrum. However, unlike the odds, Autistic people can turn out to be very unique in most things that come from their interests. They can picture tons of things through their intelligent brains and eventually have the opportunity to become something big like Temple Grandin, an American Professor who was one of the first Autistic individuals to ever become famous of her work. If you ever find someone who is diagnosed with Autism, don’t be afraid to become a special friend to them because they may have the same interests as you.