Keep It Clean, Hawks

Litter is a big problem on campus

Freddy Scanlan

Students in Mr. Carpenter’s 6th period class help with garbage pick up. Brooklyn Rogers, Saxton Szoke, Lucy Trotter, Makylee Pena, and Jolene Pérez.

Saxton Szokie, Reporter

Litter is universally known as a bad thing, so why do people still litter? Is it an inconvenience to walk 30 feet to a trashcan or to keep that paper cup in your car and not on the highway?

Litter on is a problem on any school campus, and Highland is no exception. The amount of litter that is so bad that classes during 6th hour go and clean outside. During this time, groups of 4 to 5 go out to certain sections of the school and pick up trash. In the end, all that matters is that we try to keep our school clean because as students, we have to keep up the school just as much as the teachers. 

“I think that people litter because it is seen as a convenience but they are really just being lazy” said Chris Clones, Highland school teacher.

Robert Cialdini, a psychology professor at Arizona State University, says the decision to litter is based largely on environmental cues – or what people see around them. Cialdini said that “ People litter for reasons of convenience..” (https://potomac.org/blog/2020/2/1/why-people-litter)

At school we have many different ways to dispose of our waste trash cans, recycle bins and water bottle containers are all held in your teachers’ classroom.“ I believe it’s imperative that all humans understand how recycling works, and how to do it properly, as a lot of people do not follow the guidelines and recycling improperly actually disrupts the process! However, REDUCE and REUSE come first in the cycle and I do believe that” said Leslie Chartos Highland school teacher, and advocate for recycling.

In Arizona there are certain ways you have to recycle as it is different in many states “all materials must be emptied of liquids and free of food scraps and grease before tossing them in the container. Plastic bags are not accepted in the recycle container. Materials must also be placed in the container loosely, and not bagged”.  (https://www.phoenix.gov/publicworks/residential-recycling)

Do your part to keep Highland clean. Throw garbage where it belongs- in the trash can or in the recycling bins.