Calendar Changes for 2022-23 School Year

Olivia Cornell

Were you, as a student, aware that HHS was switching to a modified year-round schedule next year? Blue: Yes Red: No

Olivia Cornell, Reporter

As the spring semester has begun in full swing, and course decisions for next year are being made, many students here at HHS are looking ahead to the 2022-2023 school year.

With that being said, many are unaware of the calendar changes that are being integrated into next year’s schedule. Gilbert Public Schools will be transitioning from a “1-2-1” calendar schedule to a “2-2-2” calendar schedule. In other words, this means that there will be two weeks off for fall, winter, and spring breaks.

Here is a more specific listing of when those breaks will be with dates:

First Day of School: Jul 26

Fall Break: Oct 3 – 14

Winter Break: Dec 21 – Jan 4

Spring Break: Mar 13 – 24

Last Day of School: May 25

While this change will bring a number of benefits to staff across the district, some students have concerns. For many, summer trips will have to be rescheduled or even cancelled. Others say that the new schedule will result in a very short summer for those enrolled in summer school. A majority simply stated that the new summer break is simply, “not enough time”.

In an article published by Community Impact Newspaper, Tom Blodgett discusses in more detail the reasons behind these calendar changes and how they will ultimately affect Gilbert Public Schools.

After surveying a number of students — all varying in grades — and asking them if they were aware of the upcoming calendar changes and if they feel more positively or negatively about the, here are the results: 

Now knowing of these calendar changes, do you feel positively or negatively about them?
Blue: Positively
Red: Negatively
Different Colors: Other (Olivia Cornell)
Were you, as a student, aware that HHS was switching to a modified year-round schedule next year?
Blue: Yes
Red: No (Olivia Cornell)