One of the Best Alternative Rock Bands: The Strokes

Scout Slade, Reporter

Music is a universal language. Music connects and brings people together, unifying us. It can create an escape from daily stresses. A band that has impacted me in this ways is The Strokes. The sound of the strokes is unique, deep, and familiar. If you haven’t heard of The Strokes, this is your sign to start listening to them. 

Who are The Strokes?

The Strokes is an Alternative Rock band from New York. The band consists of the main singer Julian Casablancas, guitarists Albert Hammond Jr and Nick Valensi, bassist Nikoli Frat, and drummer Fabrizio Moretti. 

They initially formed their band in 1998 and released their debut album Is This It in 2001. They generally produce garage rock and indie rock. They helped developed the indie rock scene and are credited to the revival of garage rock and post punk .  

Why are they famous/What made them popular?

They became known for their hit album Is This It which was released July 30th, 2001. This album streamed 

Quick Timeline: 

• January 29th, 2001: The Strokes released their first EP, The Modern Age. 
  • July 30th, 2001: The Strokes released their very first album, Is This It -it was featured on several lists of best album of the 2000s, and of all time.
  • October 28th, 2003: The Strokes released their second album, Room on Fire. it reached number 4 on the billboard 200 in the US and was certified Gold by RIIA. 
  • January 3, 2006: The Strokes released their third album, First Impressions of Earth. It became number 1 album in the UK the same year. 
  • March 18th, 2011: the strokes released their fourth album, Angles, after the band took a 5 year break.
  • March 26th, 2013: The Strokes released their fifth album, Comedown Machine. This album didn’t get much recognition as past ones but still made #10 on UK Album Charts. 
  • April 10th, 2020: The strokes made an iconic comeback and released their sixth and most recent album, The New Abnormal. 
  • In the 2021 Grammys awards show The Strokes were awarded the best rock album for The New Abnormal (Timeline Toast).

Why should you care about them?

Brandon Flowers of the Killers told NME that he felt “depressed” after hearing the Strokes’ album Is This Is. “That record just sounded so perfect”,  he said: “We threw away everything [we were working on ] and the only song that made the cut and remained was “Mr. Brightside”. 

The lead singer of the Arctic Monkeys said “I [Alex] just wanted to be one of The Strokes” in their 2018 song ‘Star Treatment’ (Wikipedia).

My thoughts:

I have always admired this band from a young age. I think that their music is so beautifully constructed and each song pacts a punch. When it comes down the the guitar riffs, vocals, drums, lyrics, the Strokes really know how to orchestrate each song into a master piece. This band consists of real talent.

One thing that I admire is that Julian Casablancas writes his own lyrics. He wrote all the lyrics for their album “Is This It” and their album “Room on Fire” except for one song “automatic stop” which was written by the guitarist Albert Hammond Jr. The reason why I find this so fascinating and impressive is because a lot of very well known artists didn’t actually write the lyrics of their hit songs themselves. For example, the king of rock and roll himself, Elvis Presley, never wrote a single one of his songs. Neither pop star Rhianna or Whitney Houston are credited to writing their hit songs. Even the infamous Frank Sinatra is not credited to writing “Fly me to the Moon” (Cheatsheet). There are so many other artists who didn’t write the lyrics to their most iconic songs. This knowledge in a sense makes me discredit singers and I think that is why I have so much respect for this band because all of their songs are written by them which requires real talent.

Peers opinions/thoughts on the strokes:

In an interview with Jonah Taylor when asked why he likes the strokes he responded, “I like their style, I think Julian Casablancas’ voice is so beautiful and really anything that he is in. its appealing. I think they convey a lot of emotions very simply and it sounds good to me in general.” His favorite song by them is “Juicebox off of first impressions of earth album,” and his favorite band member is “Fabrizo Moretti the drummer”.

In another interview with student, Lyndsie Mills she said that she likes the strokes because she loves “The musicality that they bring and its just a vibe.” Her Favorite song by them is “Bad Decisions”.

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on this band in the comments section.