• April 25Teacher Walk Out Starts Thursday

• April 4AZ Merit testing this Tues, Wed, and Thursday

• March 28A "RED FOR ED" protest was held in front of HHS this morning by staff and teachers.

Thor Ragnarok: Roses Or Thorns?

Paige Cuprak, Editor in Chief

Thor Ragnarok, one of the most anticipated movies of the year, was definitely a huge success. The first two movies in the Thor series have gotten ratings which have been only on par with what is expected from a Marvel movie. The first Thor movie got 77% from Rotten Tomatoes, while Thor: The Dark World got an unimpressive 66%. Thor Ragnarok was a major step up in the Thor series receiving a jaw-dropping 93% from Rotten Tomatoes.

But the question is, did the biggest movie of the year really deserve that high of a score? Is it worth paying eight dollars per ticket to go see it in the theatres or should you wait for it to come out on Netflix? Well I decided to check out the movie that a reviewer, from Common Sense Media, claims is Marvel’s “most audacious entry so far”.

I decided to see it in 3D because, let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to see Thor battling with the Hulk right in front of their face? I was very impressed with how there weren’t any slow moments. The plot was fast paced and the lines were hilarious! There were a few characters who were newly introduced to the plot but they were all very entertaining and had an important part in the storyline. Some of my favorites were: Korg who was a hilarious rock creature with the desire to lead a rebellion, the Grandmaster who was magnificently played by the legend himself Jeff Goldblum, and Executioner (Skurge) who was, in my opinion, probably the most epic newly introduced character. There was also a short comedic scene where Marvel surprised us with the appearance of Doctor Strange which made me super happy because he’s definitely one of my favorite Marvel superheroes.

Another thing I admired about the movie was how, even though there have been multiple movies with the main characters, Thor, Loki, and the Hulk, the writers found a way to further develop the characters. More sides of these three characters were revealed. For Thor, his character develops through his relationships with his father and his brother, Loki. You begin to his powers develop as well and he becomes stronger than ever. For Loki, you begin to see a softer side to him that truly cares about his brother and the Asgardian civilization. And as for Bruce Banner, you see a side of him that is more insecure and scared of not being in control of the Hulk.

As you can see, this movie really has it all; comedic moments, new and interesting characters, and character development for the main characters that we all love. Overall I give Thor Ragnarok four and a half roses. It was one of those movies that you can’t help going to see multiple times. So, if you’re still wondering, yes I would really recommend going to see Thor Ragnarok in theaters; it is definitely worth the eight dollars.